At Beachside Dental, we are passionate about healthy gums and we won’t let gum disease hold you back!
Gum disease can be uncomfortable and have further health consequences if left untreated. At Beachside Dental in Frankston, we are experts in treating gum diseases like receding gums, and our periodontal specialists are experienced in providing both surgical and non surgical options. Our periodontists and gum specialists provide procedures ranging from careful cleaning of the tooth surface and tray delivery systems for medications, to dental implants and crown lengthening.
What is periodontal disease?
Periodontal disease is an infection of the tissues that hold your teeth in position, commonly caused by poor brushing and flossing. In advance cases, this could lead to pain, bleeding gums, and even tooth loss.
There is a surgical and non-surgical treatment for gum disease and at Beachside Complete Dental Care, we can perform both. We are happy to help you to achieve healthy gums and prevent issues with your gums.
- Symptoms of gum disease include:
- Bad breath that won’t go away
- Red or swollen gums
- Tender or bleeding gums
- Painful chewing
- Loose teeth
- Sensitive teeth
- Receding gums or longer appearing teeth
What are three non-surgical periodontal treatments?
If the problem is not advanced, treatment involves less invasive procedures, including:
Scaling- Scaling removes tartar, the hard calcified deposits that form and coat the teeth and gums, and bacteria from your tooth surfaces and beneath your gums.
Root Planing – Smooths the root surfaces, discouraging tartar, and remove any subgingival bacteria that contribute to gum inflammation.
Antibiotics- Topical or oral antibiotics can help control bacterial infection.
What are the surgical periodontal treatments?
- For more advanced cases, we might need to do a surgical procedure such as:
In flap surgery, your dentist makes tiny incisions in your gum to lifted back, exposing the roots for more effective scaling or root planing.
- Soft tissues grafts, sometimes you lose gum tissue and reinforcing your gum tissue is relevant. The procedure will be removing a small amount of tissue from your palate and attaching it to the affected site.
- Bone grafting is a procedure done with tiny fragments of your bone. It helps prevent tooth loss by holding your teeth in place.
- Guided tissues regeneration will allow the regrowth of bone that has been destroyed by bacteria.
- Tissue-stimulating proteins, this technique is performed by applying a special gel in a tooth root that contains proteins and stimulates growth bone and tissue.
How to prevent periodontal disease?
- You can follow some basic rules at home:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Replace your toothbrush at least every three months.
- Floss daily.
- Use a natural mouthwash.
- Do not smoke.
- Limit sugar.
- But mainly, the best way to prevent any disease is:
- Visit your dentist at least once a year.
What is a periodontal specialist?
A periodontist is an expert in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, including the placement of dental implants, and they are experts on oral inflammation.